About the Business
At Third Sun Solar, we are here to serve by creating business as a force for good and making the planet a better place. Our teams are serving our customers, each other, the community, and stakeholders, which ultimately shows in the genuine pride our team takes in delivering the very best solar solutions.
We are reliable. Our team is filled with dependable, honest, and reliable people. We keep our promises and strive to do it right the first time.
Our team is driven. We are passionate about solar, and that shows in every project that the Third Sun Solar team completes. The team does what it takes to ensure the finest system and the best customer experience, and we take pride in our dedication in doing things right.
Third Sun Solar values growth. We have been in business for over twenty years and we have a bright future ahead. Our hunger for knowledge and continuous improvement keeps us at the top of our ever-evolving industry. Our staff are on the pulse of cutting-edge solar advancements. We strive for greatness and are not satisfied with the status quo.
Not only do we operate our team with a clear mission and values, we are a certified B Corporation. That means we operate with a triple bottom line commitment to people (our employees and their families, our clients and residents of the communities where we do business), the planet (we appreciate the wonders of nature and believe that a habitable plant is worth fighting for), and profit (generating capital to keep increasing our impact and revenue to share among our team and partners).
We are a talented team of electricians, crew, project managers, engineers, finance, supply chain, permitting, and veteran community members, who are all excited about crafting beautiful solar systems to enable our communities to power their lives with clean energy.
Third Sun Solar is committed to providing our staff with competitive wages, health care benefits, travel expenses, paid holidays, vacation, and a caring, flexible, vision and value-oriented work environment.
Are you interested in joining an established team? We are hiring a Director of Finance for our Athens, Ohio office.
Job Description & Responsibilities
The Director of Finance is a member of the Leadership Team and reports directly to the COO. The Director of Finance is charged with implementing the vision set by owners and the leadership team based on a triple bottom line approach balancing people, planet, and profit. The Director of Finance will formulate the company’s tactical planning to achieve the objectives of the business plan with the aim of maximizing both short term and long- term return and minimizing risk for the company. The Director of Finance directs financial activities of the organization by performing the following duties personally or through others in the Finance Department.
- Culture and Values Cultivation: As part of the Leadership Team, create and improve a purpose-driven and values-based organizational culture that attracts, retains, and motivates high-performing employees.
- Finance Staff Management: Leads, manages and holds accountable the Finance team. Determines the needs of the department. Oversees all Accounts Receivable/Billing/Collections and manages Accounts Payable, either by self or employees.
- Financial Management: Establishes, or recommends to management, major corporate economic and financial strategies, objectives, and policies for the company. Recommends modifications to existing corporate programs, company policies, and procedures. Maintain current knowledge of accounting standards in the company’s industry as well as federal and state laws. Analysis of past, present, and future financials to determine changes and improvements in efficiencies, operations, and activities.
- Payroll and HR: Oversees weekly payroll and is the primary liaison with the payroll company. Conducts HR-related tasks such as tracking PTO, benefits, onboarding and terminations, company property allocations, employee relations events, documentation of personnel policies, employee review schedules, and review execution, etc. Maintaining of Safety and Handbook policies. Handles safety reporting.
- Reporting: Prepares reports which summarize and forecast company business activity and financial position in areas of income, expenses, and earnings based on past, present, and expected operations. This reporting also includes reporting on financial scorecard (key performance indicators)
- Financial Statement Activity: Provides management with timely organizational financial statements and updates on progress in its various programs and activities. This includes weekly cash flow status, monthly financial closings, budgeted vs. actual reporting, quarterly activity summaries, and annual financial preparations. Close books at period ends, as determined by management. Arranges for audits of company’s accounts, and acts as a liaison with the company’s accounting firm in needed areas such as annual financial audit or review and tax preparation.
- Taxes: Prepares and remits all necessary taxes and returns, including payroll withholding, sales tax, use tax, and other regular federal, state, and local taxes as needed.
- Asset/Liability Management: Prepares and monitors ongoing schedules of assets, debts, installments, and depreciation. Including record keeping of all company technology assets, vehicles, and company-owned tools and equipment. Asset management also includes inventory and software associated with the business
- Insurances: Advises management about insurance coverage for protection against property losses and potential liabilities and acts as a liaison with insurance companies. Secures bonds as needed for contractor work, bids, etc.
- Banking and Treasury Management: Establishes and maintains relations with banks and other financial institutions. Prepares applications, reports, and documents related to accounts and loans. Receives cash and check payments and makes deposits.
- Internal Controls: Develop internal control policies, guidelines, and procedures for activities such as budget administration, cash and credit management, accounting software guidelines, inventory guidelines and best practices, and accounting practices.
- Strategic Planning: Confers with owners, employees at every level, and executive team to plan business objectives, to develop organizational policies, to coordinate functions and operations between divisions and departments, and to establish responsibilities and procedures for attaining objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, or accounting. A minimum of 10 or more years of experience
- Experience in Job Cost accounting in the construction industry or manufacturing industry
- Experience in AIA billings, retainage construction liens and other standard paperwork in construction contracting
- Experience in Human Resource Management is required
- Tax: Understanding the experience in sales and use tax laws regarding construction and real property for the states that the company works in. Experience in contracting with and directing CPA and other financial consultants on corporate financials and tax
- Computer Skills: Experience using one or more Accounting Software programs, especially construction or manufacturing job costing software. Excellence in using Microsoft Office products, especially Excel and Word
- Has the ability to provide internal and external customer service in accordance with the culture and values of the company
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with the ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts and advanced reasoning abilities to problems and data and leadership
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Math Ability: Basic math skills for addition subtraction, division, multiplication. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Accounting and financial management abilities, calculation of ratios, advanced spreadsheet creation and analysis
- Athens, Ohio
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- IRA Retirement Account
If you’re interested in learning more about working with us, please send us an email letting us know what you are great at and why we would be better with you on our team: Careers@ThirdSunSolar.com
Third Sun Solar is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status.