About the Business
At Third Sun Solar, we are here to serve by creating business as a force for good and making the planet a better place. Our teams are serving our customers, each other, the community, and stakeholders, which ultimately shows in the genuine pride our team takes in delivering the very best solar solutions.
We are reliable. Our team is filled with dependable, honest, and reliable people. We keep our promises and strive to do it right the first time.
Our team is driven. We are passionate about solar, and that shows in every project that the Third Sun Solar team completes. The team does what it takes to ensure the finest system and the best customer experience, and we take pride in our dedication in doing things right.
Third Sun Solar values growth. We have been in business for over twenty years and we have a bright future ahead. Our hunger for knowledge and continuous improvement keeps us at the top of our ever-evolving industry. Our staff are on the pulse of cutting-edge solar advancements. We strive for greatness and are not satisfied with the status quo.
Not only do we operate our team with a clear mission and values, we are a certified B Corporation. That means we operate with a triple bottom line commitment to people (our employees and their families, our clients and residents of the communities where we do business), the planet (we appreciate the wonders of nature and believe that a habitable plant is worth fighting for), and profit (generating capital to keep increasing our impact and revenue to share among our team and partners).
We are a talented team of electricians, crew, project managers, engineers, finance, supply chain, permitting, and veteran community members, who are all excited about crafting beautiful solar systems to enable our communities to power their lives with clean energy.
Third Sun Solar is committed to providing our staff with competitive wages, health care benefits, travel expenses, paid holidays, vacation, and a caring, flexible, vision, and value-oriented work environment.
Are you interested in joining an established team? We are hiring an Estimator, Electrical Solar PV for our Athens, Ohio office.
Job Description & Responsibilities
The Estimator, Electrical Solar PV is a member of the Design and Engineering Team within the Operations Team, working closely with the growth team, and supports all efforts of the team as directed by the Design and Engineering Manager.
- Culture and Values Cultivation: Works to nurture the created culture of success, and the execution of a purpose-driven and values based organization. Executes the clear vision set forth and is accountable for the results of your work in adherence to policy and processes
- Project Estimating: Provide estimated costs of construction for solar projects based on bid/RFP requirements or internally prepared scopes of work. Maintain historic database and library of subcontractor quotes, supplier pricing, and Third Sun Solar labor production factors by task. Be able to analyze previous budgets and costs, to utilize them in the quoting process of new projects that are either in request for proposal state of development or already contracted. Works with the Design and Engineering Manager for approval on estimations. Delivers estimates to the sales team
- Project Plan Sets: Prepare conceptual or one line project plan sets to support the estimating of construction costs and project estimations, along with a bill of material for each quoted project
- Code Compliance/Best Practices: Apply solar design principles, National Electric Code requirements, structural load analysis, and financial analysis on a daily basis
- System Performance Modeling: Prepare performance models based on system designs in accordance with Third Sun Solar internal standards and practices
- Assist in interfacing with Operations Team, Growth Team, and Third Parties: Provide support to the Operations and Growth team during system design review, quoting, and procurement of materials
- Assist in interfacing with Finance Team: Collaborate as needed on the interface between cost tool and accounting system, as well as product details and the procurement process
- Tools: Assist in developing, maintaining, and refining tools to perform Design and Engineering Team processes, including residential, commercial, and service quote generators, planset design calculations, and others as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree or equitable work experience
- Previous experience in solar design a plus and electrical estimating in a commercial and residential setting is required
- Proven Auto Cad experience in a commercial and residential setting a plus
- Ability to read, interpret, and understand contracts and request for proposals to provide accurate estimating
- Ability to create a bill of materials
- Knowledge and experience with the National Electric Code
- Knowledge of building codes and good construction practices
- Experience in contracting or construction management
- Creativity, both in design, form/function but also in problem-solving and collaboration
- Process-oriented with an appreciation for efficiency, systems thinking, and continuous improvement
- Customer service oriented and ability to work with a customer-centered design approach
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to juggle multiple projects/tasks
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to accept direction on given assignments.
- Computer Skills: Experience using one or more Project Management software programs. Excellence in using Microsoft Office products, especially Excel and Word. Experience using, refining, and developing proposal tools
- NABCEP Installation Professional, ASPE, ICEAA, AACE, or professional engineering license preferred, but not mandatory
- Athens, Ohio
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- IRA Retirement Account
If you’re interested in learning more about working with us, please send us an email letting us know what you are great at and why we would be better with you on our team: Careers@ThirdSunSolar.com
Third Sun Solar is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status.