Is your current job not providing the challenge that you need? Want to work on a team that is mission aligned, pays you well and has lots of work?
There is a position for you, if you are a Solar Design & Engineering Assistant and have interests in working on a mix of Residential, Government and Commercial projects.
Here at Third Sun Solar, we believe that we are successful because of our people, and we’re proud to provide competitive compensation and benefits packages. We promote from within and are in an exciting, rapidly growing industry with many opportunities for training and advancement.
Family Like Work Environment
Though our headquarters is in Athens, Ohio, we are interested and eager to have individuals who are based all across the state join our team!
Third Sun Solar is a different kind of company, united by our mission to Accelerate the Shift to Clean Energy. We are a Certified B-Corp, operating with a triple bottom line commitment to people, planet and profit. Our team works hard together, but also has fun and enjoys working and playing together.
We are the number one solar installer in Ohio (as ranked in the Solar Power World 2018 top 500). Google us – we’ve been in the business a long time and know what it’s like to run a successful company. Get up to speed by following us on Facebook.
The Job Description
The Design Assistant is a member of the Operations Team. This position will be directed by the Design and Engineering Manager. All work will be complete in accordance with Third Sun Solar internal standards and practices, industry best practices and required codes/standards.
- Project Plan Sets: Prepare project plan sets (and renderings) for permits and construction.
- Code Compliance/Best Practices: Apply solar design principals, National Electric Code requirements, structural load analysis, and financial analysis on a daily basis.
- System Performance Modeling: Prepare performance models based on system designs.
- Assist in interfacing with Operations Team, Sales Team, and Third Parties: Provide support to the Operations team during system design review, utility interconnection review and other code or permitting issues.
- Assist in interfacing with Admin Team: Collaborate on the cost tool and accounting system.
- Cost Estimating: Provide estimated costs of construction for solar projects based on bid/RFP requirements or internally prepared scopes of work. Maintain historic database and library of subcontractor quotes, supplier pricing and Third Sun Solar labor production factors.
- Tools: Assist in developing, maintaining, and refining tools to perform Design and Engineering Team processes.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn CAD or other drafting programs.
- Knowledge and experience with the National Electric Code. (NABCEP Installation Professional is preferred but not mandatory).
- Knowledge of building codes and good construction practices.
- Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, trigonometry, and their applications.
- Experience in contracting or construction management preferred.
- Computer Skills: Experience using one or more CRM software programs. Excellence in using Microsoft Office products, especially Excel and Word. Experience using, refining, and developing proposal tools
- Knowledge and experience in designing and installing solar/PV or wind power systems preferred.
- Previous experience in solar design preferred, but not required.
- Creativity, both in design, form/function but also in problem solving and collaboration.
- Process oriented with an appreciation for efficiency, systems thinking and continuous improvement
- Customer service oriented and ability to work with a customer centered design approach.
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to juggle multiple projects/tasks.
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to accept direction on given assignments.
Here’s the Good News
Working somewhere now? We understand and will keep your inquiry confidential. If you’re curious and want to know more, we would be happy to answer any questions you have over the phone.
What To Do Next
- Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
P.S. This opportunity starts right away. So send over your information so we can get you on board, ASAP.